Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Democratic Dilemma

The race is tight. The jabs are slowly returning. The two greatest benefactors of Affirmative Action are facing off against each other for the democratic nomination. It is an incredible feat. Who would have thought this could be maybe no less than thirty years ago, maybe even twenty. Can you imagine how many times politicians and whites from the reconstruction era have turned over in their graves as they watch from their bed full of flames what is occuring on earth. Whatever might become of the democratic nomination, we should all applaud the fact that a black man and white woman ascended to the top of the party. This truly speaks to how progressive our nation might possibly be becoming and we should embrace the fact that we millions of people have been able to put their beliefs and their hearts into two politicians that look nothing like them, one way or the other. Whoever gets the most votes from these delegates should be extremely grateful of the opportunity presented to them, an opportunity to represent the demo....

Excuse me? Are you telling me even IF someone has the most delegate votes they still may fail to represent the democratic party in the upcoming national elections? How? Superdelegates? Unheard of!!! This is outrageous! I don't even know what superdelegates are!!!! (no, really, even after someone explained it to me I'm still curious as to why they have so much power). I thought this was a democratic nation. That constituents count. That WE matter. So why are you telling me even if my boy Barack O-bamma wins, there is still a possibility that Bill-ary might come out of the Democratic National Convention as the democratic nominee. If you don't know me by now, you'd know that I don't like Bill-ary at all because she implements Rovean tactics into her campaign, her husband did nothing for the majority of African Americans during his tenure (contrary to popular belief), and she is a capitalism/corporate groupie. And if she is chosen to represent the democratic party, the same person whose tactics she has adopted, Karl Rove, is the same person who is going to eat her and her campaign alive. I think she'll do more to hurt the nation than John McCain should he be elected.

I digress. The issue at hand is it's clearly obvious that Obama has momentum in his favor right now (as I write this I do not know the results of Wisconsin, Hawaii, and Washington), and that the longer he campaigns in a state, the more votes he gains. This bodes well with such a long time to go before Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Texas. Hillary has fired her campaign manager and is trying to attack Barack for plagiarism when she commits the same fraud. All signs point to the possibility that Barack will win the popular vote and the most delegate votes. What is scary, however, is that even if he does get both, there is a chance that the democracy that we live in will be for naught and that these so called super delegates may alter the outcome of what so many people went out and voted for with a simple endorsement for Hillary. And she has already started lobbying them mercilessly.

The democratic party will fall apart should this happen. Not only will democrats lose their faith in a party they thought would support their vote, but it will also weaken the party once they disassociate themselves and the republican party lays down their assault on the Clinton campaign team. These super delegates should hold no more weight than a regular delegate and should not impact and overturn a vote that so many of their constituents went out of their way to cast. It is time to retire old election techniques so as we throw away the power of the super delegates, we should celebrate true democracy and then work on tweaking the electoral college as soon as the former is completed. With that said, view the candidates positions, go out and vote, and wait for the results. If you're for Barack, go out and vote so there won't even be confusion about who the Democratic party wants to elect. He is the best chance for the Democratic Party to remove the GOP from the Oval Office...

4 comments:

StarEffex said...

Good post. Another crazy factor is that the Superdelegates only exist in the Democratic National Party. Your anger with the system is clearly warranted; however, I do not believe the Superdelegates would ever use their power to decide the nominee. To overthrow the popular vote getter would destroy the democratic parties cohesion and likely render it hopeless in the General Election, not just in 2008, but for years to come.

Anonymous said...

I definitely agree with stareffex. This is not as big a deal as people make it out to be. Superdelegates are always a big deal early and never a big deal late. And, while I agree this is an important issue, I also think that superdelegates have some value in the nomination process (although I think I stand alone there).

Obama looks like he's going to steal Texas and this thing will be over soon. And, if the roles were reversed, something tells me that Obama supporters would be screaming about how superdelegates are an important part of the political process and that we should acknowledge them as such.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I cant believe I am actually seeing some intelligent comments on this issue. lol I agree with kawshen totally. What you say about the Obama supporters is so true.
People can get mad all they want, but the DNC rules are the rules, and they shouldn't be changed or modified for anyone, Clinton or Obama included.
But, the election will be decided March 4th, so really all this superdelegate talk is a non-issue.

Emergent Pearl said...

I have to admit that I was concerned when the whole Super delegate issue arose. So many questions popped into my head about how this would play out. As Sen. Obama increases his lead, I believe the Super dels will play less of role.

As the whole Bush-Gore Florida fiasco becomes a distant memory, I do not think the Democratic party wants to open up those old wounds again. I'm glued to CNN and MSNBC more than ever before, and I'm definitely interested in watching how the race plays out.