Thursday, February 28, 2008

Hot Topic: Apology from Congress

Many gave thoughtful comments on my article about slavery in Maryland. Well now, Congress is debating giving their own apology. Many called this worthless, more time should be spent on educating our youth, eradicating the fact that disproportionate people of color are locked up behind bars, and that asthma causes inner city and homeless students to miss school to the point where NCLB is truly irrelevant.

all these statements, I agree with in theory. but there has to be something in an apology....Otherwise, why do we demand it so much in our daily lives?

Let us know your thoughts. The article is here: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-02-27-slavery_N.htm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, I'm really torn on the whole apology thing. Sure, it would be great to see a conservative senator gripping his dentures against his lower lip as congressional leadership (and potentially the executive office) apologies for the atrocity that was human enslavement, but I've never wanted an apology that wasn't sincere--I always walk away more upset that I came to the situation. I think if an apology were tied to some type of legislative plan for community building in communities of color, I'd be more amiable to it. As of now, I'm rather ambivalent.

Stef B. said...

I agree that much more than an apology is necessary. However, that does not mean that an apology is unnecessary. African-American people have been scared and hurt by America's past and while many of us have progressed beyond that past, many others (myself included) still harbor ill sentiments towards our country. An apology is an acknowledgement of a wrong. What America did was wrong and the sooner we can all admit that OUT LOUD, the sooner we can work towards healing the deep seated pains of this countries race issues. As was mentioned, a simple apology in personal life is a necessity for emotional recovery in most cases. Forgiving someone, even forgiving yourself starts with an apology; an open admittance of an offence. America's apology is long overdue.